Convincing businesses to leverage your IT services can be tough. What can you do to demonstrate the value your MSP provides to clients? Well, numbers are more persuasive than words. Here is a list of 17 statistics broken down into three categories for you to use the data to drive your MSP sales approach.
Cybersecurity MSP Statistics
Help your prospects to understand the importance of cybersecurity services by illustrating current cybersecurity threats, the holes that leave many businesses vulnerable to cyberattacks, and the results of not having a robust security strategy in place. Try not to scare your prospect to death, but rather show how partnering with your MSP can help their data stay safe and secure.
1. It's predicted that, by 2021, cybercrime will cost the world $6 trillion annually (source).
2. On average, there is a hacker attack every 39 seconds (source).
3. 1 in 323 emails sent to small businesses is malicious (source).
4. 95% of cybersecurity breaches are due to human error (source).
5. The average cost of a data breach in 2020 will exceed $150 million (source).
6. 60% of small businesses that are victims of a cyberattack go out of business within six months (source).
7. 56% of Americans don’t know what steps to take in the event of a data breach. (source).
8. On average, SMBs experience 8+ hours of downtime during a breach (source).
9. 62% of SMBs lack the in-house skills to handle cybersecurity (source).
10. 21% of company data folders are not protected in any way (i.e., are open to anyone) (source).
Ransomware MSP Statistics
Ransomware still remains one of the most dangerous and commonly spread types of malware. This is why it’s critical for MSPs to share recent ransomware statistics and trends with their clients and prospects.
11. 63% of ransomware victims in 2019 were small businesses (source).
12. During 2019, in the US, the ransomware infected 113 state and municipal governments and agencies, 764 healthcare providers, and 89 universities, colleges, and school districts (source).
Backup and Disaster Recovery (BDR) MSP Statistics
Having a data backup and recovery solution is essential for all companies of any size or type. Show your prospects why they need to protect their business data, what the causes of data loss are, and how much time and money it would cost if they lost business-critical information.
13. Only 21% of SME companies have a full disaster recovery plan (source).
14. The average cost of downtime to a business is $5,600 per minute (source).
15. The most common causes of data loss are hardware/system failure (31%), human error (29%), and viruses, malware, or ransomware (29%) (source).
16. A simple drive recovery can cost upwards of $7,500, and success is not guaranteed (source).
17. 58% of SMBs say they test their disaster recovery plan just once a year or less, while 33% say they test infrequently or never at all (source).
Use these facts in your communications with clients and prospects to strengthen the way you sell your services and technical expertise. Don’t forget, however, that facts are not everything. You need to create a sales strategy that focuses on the right leads at the right time. Want to know more? Check out our comprehensive guide on MSP sales.